Memorial Day Weekend in San Francisco will coincide with the 75th anniversary celebration of the Golden Gate Bridge. Under the theme “Bridging Us All,” the weekend long festival harkens back to the spirit of the Golden Gate Fiesta when the Bridge opened on May 27, 1937.
Highlights of the 2012 celebration include an historic watercraft parade, multiple music and dance stages, art installations, history and educational presentations, display of cars from 1937 to the present, and Bridge-related activities on Crissy Field and the Marina Green. These activities will be complemented by Bridge-themed events and performances at waterfront venues including Fort Mason Center, Ghirardelli Square, San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park, Fisherman’s Wharf, and Pier 39, among others.
On Sunday evening, May 27th at approximately 9:30 pm, the weekend celebration will conclude with a spectacular 75th anniversary fireworks display and grand finale.
In addition to The Golden Gate Festival, the year-long 75th anniversary features:
- 75 Tributes to the Bridge, a series of public programs being presented throughout the year by Bay Area museums, cultural centers, universities, arts organizations, children’s groups, and others.
- Construction of a new 3,500-square-foot Bridge Pavilion to serve as a welcome and interpretive center and to provide a museum store featuring a wide range of commemorative and interpretive Bridge merchandise;
- Renovation of the historic Round House into a program staging and visitor education center;
- Upgrades to the Bridge Café, including a new menu with locally sourced and sustainable items;
- A “green screen” photo area where visitors can picture themselves in dramatic and publically inaccessible Bridge locations, such as the top of the tower;
- New personally guided Bridge tours, including the first-ever night tours, utilizing the latest in audio technology; and
- Enhancements to the Bridge Plaza and the adjacent national parklands, trails and overlooks within Golden Gate National Recreation Area (GGNRA).
Elevation Travel is ready to help you book your stay in San Francisco for this unique event: http://www.goelevationtravel.com/